Friday, December 2, 2016

Genetics and DNA 12/4



Image result for dna
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/uXdzuz5Q-hs/maxresdefault.jpg
Have you ever wondered why you and your mom or dad share the same features? The factor that makes you and your parents act and look alike is genetics. Genetics is the name for the directions for only one trait of a living thing. You might be wondering how genetics is able to affect you, this is because of DNA. DNA is the directions an organism's cells follow that tell the living thing how to grow and what it will do. DNA contain nucleic acids which are four molecules you require to survive; Cytosine, Thymine, Adenine, and Guanine. They are instructions that make all organisms appear and behave a certain way. These nucleic acids make up the layers or "steps of the ladder" of DNA. The two structures that hold them together are composed of phosphate and deoxyribose.

S&EP - SP7: Engaging in argument from evidence

I used evidence to defend my explanation. I answered a packet of questions about DNA and genetics, providing a documentary that my class watched as evidence. I formulated evidence based on solid data when I stated that Tay-Sachs disease is caused by only one bad letter in a baby's DNA using the information that scientists researched about DNA and Tay-Sachs disease as evidence. I examined my own understanding in light of the evidence. I used to think that DNA was simple to research, but because of the video now I think that DNA could take decades to research without modern technology. I collaborated with my peers in searching for the best explanation. I did some research on the subject in which the packet was based on which I discussed with my table group. Together we figured out that the answers to the questions on the packet.

XCC: Structure and Function

The structure of DNA greatly affects the function of how cells decipher the DNA and how the organism will develop and behave. This is because our cells decipher the nitrogenous bases of our DNA to know exactly how and what to construct. This means that if there is one small problem in a single letter of our DNA, it can greatly affect the function of the organism. For example, in Tay-Sachs disease, it only takes one malfunction in one letter of a baby's DNA to cause the baby to slowly become brain dead.

No comments:

Post a Comment