Sunday, November 20, 2016

Project Blog - Human Body 2.0 Redesign 11/20


Summary:
         During the Human Body 2.0 Redesign project, I learned a variety of specific information about all of the body systems. This including the Digestive System, the Skeletal System, the Muscular System, the Circulatory System, the Respiratory System, the Immune System, the Urinary System, and the Nervous System. Because of this project, I now have knowledge on the detailed structure and function of all of the different body systems. Along with information on how the structure of the system effects it's function. In addition, I also now know information on the major organs of each body system and how these organs function. As well as I have knowledge on how the systems of the body interact and work with each other in many different ways to perform a variety of different functions. However for the group project, my group and I really focused on the condition of Acid Reflux. From filling out our Human Body 2.0 Redesign Brief, writing the redesign essay, and creating a presentation to share with the class, I learned a lot about the process of how Acid Reflux occurs. Along with the causes, symptoms, and restrictions of Acid Reflux. In addition, I collected a lot of knowledge on how Acid Reflux can be prevented as well as how to reduce the risk of Acid Reflux while brainstorming and coming up with ideas of how my team and I could possibly redesign the esophagus and LES (Lower Esophageal Sphincter) to eliminate the condition all together.

Backward-Looking:
        While working on the Human Body 2.0 Redesign Brief, my group and I ran into one single major problem that really delayed our productiveness during the project. This problem forced us to do a load of extra work outside of school. The problem that we encountered was the fact that a team last year had the same redesign idea. This meant that they did the same project we were planning to do. Once we were allowed to see their Redesign Brief, we instantly panicked. At this moment we should have been finishing up our Redesign Brief, but now we had to change our idea! After days of getting frustrated and confused while trying to brainstorm ideas of how we were going to make our redesign totally different than last year's team, we finally realized that changing the redesign wasn't our only option. We could also build upon the redesign of last year's team and improve their idea. While only having a day to think, we came up with the "Goose" muscle. The "Goose" muscle is a 2.5 inch long ring of smooth muscle. This muscle is located right above the LES (Lower Esophageal Sphincter).  The function of this muscle is to contract from top to bottom and essentially push acid coming up from the stomach, back down and out of the esophagus. This action will help reduce the risk of Acid Reflux and heartburn.

Inward-Looking:
       Looking at my team and I's work, I feel that we did a great job at all of the aspects of the project. I like how we included a lot of detailed information in the Human Body 2.0 Redesign Brief and the Redesign essay. As well as I liked how our idea for the redesign was well though out and clear especially with what little time and lots of rush we had to come up with a redesign. In addition, I liked how we included specific information both in our redesign idea and in the other context and details of Acid Reflux. Such as the symptoms and cause of Acid Reflux. These components that we included really makes our redesign idea easy to understand and very convincing. However, the only part of our project that I disliked was our model. It was a little sloppy and incorrectly painted. Although this aspect of our project was optional and not mandatory, I still wish we had taken more time and effort in the model to make it look presentable and nice. The part of our project that I enjoyed was how we included a skit in the beginning of our presentation. This skit was really fun to perform and it certainly got the audience's attention. Which helped get them excited about our project and engaged ad well ad interested in our presentation and redesign.

Outward-Looking:
      I would say that my team did our work both mostly different than the other groups did their work. My group and I did do our project different than other groups did their projects because my group executed our presentation using power point and slides while other groups decided to create a video to present their work. Although some groups did however decide to use power point to present their projects as well, our presentation was different because we sort of made an ignite presentation. My group and I only put images and visuals on our slides, while other groups put bullet points and notes on their slides and didn't have any visuals at all. I think that my group did do our work some what similar than how the other groups did their work because we did use power point just as some of the groups did and we did base what we were going to say in our presentation off of a script like some other groups.

Forward-Looking:
     Just as I mentioned before, the only aspect of my team and I's project that I didn't completely like was our model. This piece is the only thing that I would improve if I had the chance to redo the project. If I had the chance to do this piece over again, I would start making the model earlier on into our project. Firstly, this would give more time to do the model and hopefully take away the sloppiness of the project because of the rush to finish. In addition, this would allow more time for the clay that we used for the model to dry. Which would allow us to be patient and wait until the clay dried to paint. That component would make the paint job of the model more neat altogether. Lastly, I would also try to paint the model more less sloppy. As well as I would try to pay attention to the colors of the real organs of the human body that we included in our model, and try to follow those color patterns while painting our model to make the model more realistic.

No comments:

Post a Comment