Thursday, November 10, 2016

Acid Reflux 11/12

https://files.graphiq.com/4553/media/images/t2/Acid_reflux_3984543.jpg
Acid Reflux is a very common condition in which acid gastric fluid regurgitates into the esophagus. As the acid backs up into the esophagus it irritates the lining of the esophagus, which most commonly causes discomfort in the upper abdomen, heartburn, nausea, and dry cough. Acid Reflux occurs when the upper part of the stomach and Lower Esophagus Sphincter (LES) move above the diaphragm. The diaphragm is a muscle that separates your stomach from your chest. Normally, the diaphragm helps keep acid in your stomach. However if you have a hiatal hernia, acid can move up into your esophagus and cause symptoms of Acid Reflux. There are more than 3 million U.S. cases of Acid Reflux a year. In addition, this condition most commonly affects newborns of the ages 0-2 years old, teens of the ages 14-18 years old, and adults of the ages 19+. 

S&EP - SP7: Engaging in argument from evidence
I used evidence to defend my explanation. I answered a document called, "Human Body 2.0 Design Brief", providing websites where I researched information, as evidence. I formulated evidence based on solid data when I stated that Acid Reflux is a very common condition, using information that I researched as evidence. Information such as, "there are more than 3 million United States cases of Acid Reflux a year". I examined my own understanding in light of the evidence. I used to think that Esophageal Cancer wasn't very critical and serious, but because of researching this topic, now I think that Esophageal Cancer is one of the most dangerous cancers that the body can contract. I collaborated with my peers in searching for the best explanation. I did some research on Acid Reflux which I discussed with my project team. Together we figured out that Acid Reflux is a very common condition that has many painful symptoms and restricts everyday activities.

XCC: Cause and Effect
The cause and effect relationship that occurs at the condition of Acid Reflux is when the action of Acid Reflux causes acid to regurgitate into the esophagus, this acid effects the esophagus by irritating it. More specifically, when the upper part of the stomach and the Lower Esophagus Sphincter move above the diaphragm and the diaphragm doesn't perform it's function of keeping acid in the stomach, properly. It causes acid to freely move up the esophagus and irritate the lining of the esophagus. This irritation most commonly causes the symptoms of discomfort in the upper abdomen, heartburn, nausea, and dry cough. This information of the cause and effect relationship of the Acid Reflux can help me "take over the world" by giving me some specific details and information on the condition of Acid Reflux and the esophagus. This knowledge can possibly help me in future education and career, especially if I decide to specialize in the topic of the human body.

No comments:

Post a Comment