Thursday, October 13, 2016

Cell Division Cycle 10/16


The cell division is the series of events that take place in a cell leading to its division and duplication of its DNA (DNA replication) to produce two daughter cells. This cycle results into two daughter cells having the same genetic material. The process of this cycle has three main phases, Interphase, Mitosis, and Cytokinesis. However, Mitosis is usually split up into four different phases which add up to a total of six different phases all together. The different phases are Interphase, Prophase, Metaphase, Anaphase, Telophase, and Cytokinesis. In the first phase, preparation for Mitosis, or the division of the cell is made. In Interphase, the cell grows and matures and the cell located in the chromatin, is duplicated. In the second phase of the cell cycle and the first phase of mitosis, Prophase, the chromatin condenses to form chromosomes. In the third phase of the cell cycle and the second phase of mitosis, Metaphase, the spindle fibers pull the chromosomes, stretching them into a line. In the next phase, Anaphase, the spindle fibers split the centromeres and chromotids to opposite sides. Then in the fifth phase of the cycle and the last phase of mitosis, Telophase, a nuclear membrane forms around both cells and chromosomes unwind. Finally to complete the process, in Cytokinesis, the sides pinch in dividing the cytoplasm.

S&EP - SP7: Engaging in argument from evidence
I used evidence to defend my explanation. I answered a packet of questions about the cell cycle and cell division providing the information I got from investigating the Gizmo as evidence. I formulated evidence based on solid data when I stated that in the step of Interphase, the cell gets ready for Mitosis using the information on how the cell grows, matures, and the cell located in the chromatin is duplicated in Interphase, as evidence. I examined my own understanding in light of the evidence. I used to think that when a cell grows too big it splits, but because of having the discussion in class and investigating the Gizmo now I think that cell division happens continuously to replace cells. I collaborated with my peers in searching for the best explanation. I did some research on how cells divide which I discussed with my learning partner who was working on the packet with me. Together we figured out what happens in each phase of the Cell Cycle.

XCC: Patterns
The pattern that I studied this week was the Cell Cycle. I consider the Cell Cycle a pattern because it is a series of repeating events. In the Cell Cycle, the cell grows and matures and divides into daughter cells that have the same genetic material. To complete this, the cell goes through six different phases, Interphase, Prophase, Metaphase, Anaphase, Telophase, and Cytokinesis. The cells repeats this cycle continuously, to replace dead cells. One prediction I can make about this pattern is that if a malfunction were to happen, it would create great problems with the organism's body and health. This information can help me "take over the world" by giving me some very detailed information on how a cell divides. This knowledge could help me if I choose to specialize in a job that is related to cells.

No comments:

Post a Comment