Thursday, September 1, 2016

Cytoplasm 9/4

http://www.daylilies.org/ahs_dictionary/cytoplasm.gif
Cytoplasm is the jelly-like substance that fills the cell. In fact, without cytoplasm the cell would be deflated. Cytoplasm is responsible for keeping the cell's shape. Did you know that Cytoplasm is located within the cell membrane of all types? This organelle is made up of 70% - 90% of water and is usually clear and colorless. Cytoplasm contains all of the organelles and cell parts. Most of the important activities of the cell occur in the Cytoplasm. This organelle contains enzymes which are responsible for breaking down waste and also aid in metabolic (related to the metabolism) activity. In addition, metabolic pathways like glycolysis and cellular processes like cell division take place in the cytoplasm. It helps movement of the cellular materials around the cell through a process called cytoplasmic streaming. Cytoplasm is responsible for passing material from one organelle to another easily.

S&EP- SP7: Engaging in argument from evidence
I used evidence to defend my explanation. I answered my group and I's questions providing the information we researched from websites as evidence. I formulated evidence based on solid data when I stated that without cytoplasm the cell wouldn't be able to survive using the information that my group and I found as evidence. I examined my own understanding in light of the evidence. I used to think that cytoplasm was a single structure in the cell, but because of the information that my group and I found now I think that cytoplasm is the jelly-like substance that fills the cell and keeps the organelles in place. I collaborated with my peers in searching for the best explanation. I did some research on how cytoplasm aids the other organelles which I discussed with my group. Together we figured out that the cytoplasm helps the other organelles by helping pass materials from one organelle to another easily.

XCC: Structure and Function
The structure of the cytoplasm supports it's function by making it responsible for keeping the cell's shape. Because the cytoplasm fills the cell, without the cytoplasm the cell would be deflated. In addition, since the cytoplasm contains all of the organelles and cell parts, it is responsible for passing material from one organelle to another easily. There are no other organelles that can serve these same functions. The structure and function of cytoplasm compares to the structure and function of us human beings by having some similarities and differences. If the substance of cytoplasm wasn't so watery when the plant cell is placed in a hyper-tonic solution , the water from inside the cell's cytoplasm wouldn't diffuse out and the plant cell wouldn't become "flaccid"Understanding the relationship between the structure and function of the cytoplasm can help me "take over the world" by giving me some specific knowledge about the cell which can help in the future if I choose to become a scientist when I grow up.

No comments:

Post a Comment