Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Project Blog 3/12

(This is a screenshot of the infographic my team and I created.)
Summary
        Over the course of the week, my class has been working on projects that encourage us to learn and research about either an endangered species or an invasive species. I was personally working in a triad so my group had to pick an endangered species from the IUCN red list, to execute our project around. We chose to research about the Indian Roofed Turtle, also known as the Pangshura tecta. This turtle is native to the fresh waters of Pakistan, India, Nepal, and Bangladesh. However this species has been on the IUCN red list since the year of 2000. For the triad project there are three different roles for each of the group members to fulfill, including the Conservationist, Zoologist, and the Ecologist. I was chosen to take the part of the Conservationist. For this role, I researched and learned about the endangerment of the species. For example, from research I learned about how the Indian Roofed Turtle became endangered and the reasons for their endangerment. In their case, the Indian Roofed Turtles became threatened because of humans. This species was illegally captured, traded, and transported from the freshwater of Pakistan to China. In China, they were used on the menu of Chinese restaurants and helped in preparation of traditional Chinese medicines. They were mainly traded for their meat, which is rich in vitamin D. As well as their meat has quite a pleasant taste and is treated as a delicacy. This has resulted in the killing of several hundreds and thousands of these turtles and their numbers dwindled to such an extent that the international community proclaimed them an “endangered species”. In addition to this, I created a timeline for their endangerment and researched major events in their conservation/preservation history, studied their importance to humans, researched their current population, and looked over how their local government has intervened to help save this species.

Backward-Looking
      One of the major problems my group and I ran into while researching the background information of this species was that this species is very rare. That meant that there wasn't much information about the Indian Roofed Turtle provided on the internet. This made it very hard to research certain topics and questions about the turtles. At first we did the best we could to research through each and every website that popped up under out search. Trying to get as much information as we could. However we quickly realized that this method would take way too long especially under the circumstances of having to finish in a matter of a couple days. So we tried to think of other ways to get the information we desperately needed to complete this major part of the project. After much thought, our final solution was to find a couple of dependable websites that provided in depth information about our species. We ended up finding about four websites that included much information about the Indian Roofed Turtle. This information was general and did not specify on individual topics, instead it provided general information about the Indian Roofed Turtle and its endangerment. With these websites, we tried to base most of our research on the information that was provided.

Inward-Looking
       I feel pretty satisfied with this piece of work that my team and I put together. I particularly liked our final task for the project. This task was to create an infographic that presented the work that each member of my group did for their role. Including specific topics that we all researched about the Indian Roofed Turtle and the subjects about this species that we focused on. It really displayed and distributed our work nicely together. I really enjoy the end result. In addition, it was really fun to create with all of the icons and designs. The part of this project that I particularly disliked was the part that my group and I didn't get to execute. This was the presentation part of the project. This situation occurred because none of my group members, including myself, remembered to turn in the final infographic that we needed to present. So of course we did not have the opportunity to have a presentation in class. The thing that I enjoyed about our entire project is that I feel it is very organised. The information is accurate and executed well. As well as the infographic we made is organised as the information isn't bundled together and there is a good proportion of facts to icons. The icons make sense to the information that is paired with it. 

Outward-Looking
       I would give this project the exact grade we got for it. I agree with this grade because I think it was fairly given. We got a B on this project, which makes sense. This is because we didn't get to present. So we did get points off for the presentation part of this project. This happened because we didn't turn in the final product of the infographic in time. However, for the rest of the project we got full credit. I believe we deserved full credit for the other parts of the project because each one of our members worked hard to try to get the most accurate information about our species which was quite a challenge, considering that the Indian Roofed Turtle is a rare species talked about on the internet. We displayed the information as easy to understand as we could and had clear ideas/thoughts. In addition, we organised our information well. We made an extra document to hold all of the background information that was put on our infographic. We did this to ensure that the information we provided on the infographic could be viewed elsewhere in case it was hard to see on the infographic. On the infographic, the different topics were separate and divided. As well as the icons that were used were correctly matched up with the information that was provided. There was also a good ratio between the amount of information and the amount of icons used.

Forward-Looking
      If I had the chance to do this piece over again, I would only do one thing. I would be careful to make sure that I turn in any parts of the project no matter what. I would even ensure to turn in the different parts right before doing anything else. This will make sure to have it turned in, in case I happen to forget afterwards. This is important because most times when we present the project, our teachers get our work off of who turned in the project. So this strategy allows us to have the chance to present and get those points even if we didn't happen to finish the project. I wouldn't change anything else about our work. Such as the actual information or final product, because I think that my team and I executed that as best we could. Putting our best work into the different parts of the project.

No comments:

Post a Comment