Friday, March 24, 2017

Periodic Table 3/26

https://sciencenotes.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/PeriodicTableMuted.png
The periodic table is an arrangement of chemical elements, ordered by their physical properties, chemical properties, and atomic number. If you didn't already know, a chemical element is something that is composed out of only one type of atom and can not be broken down further into any simpler substances. A physical property is the color, weight, or size of an object or substance and a chemical property is how one type of atom reacts when introduced to another type of atom. The elements of the periodic table are organized in order of increasing atomic number. The atomic number of an element, is the number of protons that each atom contains in its atomic nucleus. The periodic table arrangement is very specific, each element has several reasons for its location on the periodic table. 80% of the periodic table are metals, this consists of the whole left side of the table. The other sections of the periodic table, such as the staircase, consists of only metalliod elements. To the right of this staircase, are all non-metals. The organization of the periodic table doesn't just stop there, the table is also organized in rows and columns. For the rows of the periodic table, also known as periods, all of the elements in the same horizontal line are related by the number of electron shells in their atom. As you go down each row of the periodic table, the amount of electron shells increase in the elements. For the columns of the periodic table, also known as families, all of the elements in the same vertical line are related by sharing similar properties. There are eight different families of the periodic table.

S&EP - SP7: Engaging in argument through evidence

I used evidence to defend my explanation. I took notes on the arrangement of the periodic table, providing the slideshow lecture that my teacher presented to my class as evidence. I formulated evidence based on solid data when I stated that elements in the same column or family share the same properties, however elements in the same row or period do not, using the saying that my teacher stated, "I share the same properties with my family and not with my neighbor" as evidence. She mentioned this saying to us to help us remember this very important fact about the element arrangement of the periodic table. I examined my own understanding in light of the evidence. I used to think that the periodic table was just organized by increasing atomic number of atoms, but because of the information that my teacher shared with my class and I in her slideshow, now I think that the periodic table is not only organized by atomic number but by physical properties and chemical properties as well. I collaborated with my peers in searching for the best explanation. I did some research on how the periodic table is arranged which I discussed with my class and table group. Together we figured out how to read the periodic table correctly.

XCC: Patterns

The patterns that occur in the periodic table are the different arrangements of elements in the periodic table. There are many rules in how the periodic table is organized. One pattern that takes place in the periodic table is that all of the elements in the same row/period have the same number of electron shells in their atom. For example, the third row/period of the periodic table contains Sodium, Magnesium, Aluminum, Silicon, Phosphorus, Sulfur, Chlorine, and Argon. All of these elements have three electron shells in their atom. Another pattern that is noticed in the periodic table is that all of the elements in the same column/family have the same properties. Such as the same number of electrons and the same chemical reaction, as well as the same behaviors. For instance, the first column/family of the periodic table contains Hydrogen, Lithium, Sodium, Potassium, Rubidium, Cesium, and Francium. This family of elements are called Alkali Metals. All of these elements have only one electron in their outer shell, all are metals and are highly reactive with other elements, and don't occur freely in nature. Lastly, all of the elements are organized in increasing atomic number in the periodic table. As your go through each element of the periodic table, the elements have increasing atomic number.

No comments:

Post a Comment