Friday, May 18, 2018

Building Body Muscle - 5/18

                                           
http://www.kickassfacts.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Muscles.jpg
When people are trying to build up their muscles, they are usually trying to exercise their skeletal muscles. Skeletal muscle is composed of thread-like myofibrils and sarcomeres that form a muscle fiber and are the basic units of contraction. The 650 skeletal muscles in the human body contract when they receive signals from motor neurons. Motor neurons tell your muscles to contract. Motor neurons are triggered from a part of the cell called the sarcoplasmic reticulum. The better your motor neurons do this, the stronger you can get. In addition the Motor Unit recruitment explains why certain movements become easier to perform after practice. This is because after you workout, your body replaces damaged muscle fibers. However these replaces muscle fibers are thicker than they were before. Muscle growth happens when your protein synthesis is greater than your muscle protein breakdown. Another component to the growth of your muscles, are Satellite cells. Satellite cells are precursors to skeletal muscle cells, able to give rise to satellite cells or differentiated skeletal muscle cells. When activated, Satellite cells help to add more nuclei to the muscle cells and therefore contribute to the growth of myofibrils (muscle cells). The more you activate satellite cells, the more you are able to grow. Lastly, continually putting more stress on the muscles is a major component involved in the growth of a muscle and disrupts homeostasis within your body.

S&EP - SP1: Asking questions and defining problems


I formulate testable questions when I researched the question, “how does the body build muscle?”. Upon researching this, I decided to specifically focus on teaching how the body strengthens its skeletal muscle. I established what is already known about this topic when I typed down any information I found, onto a note document. I shared this document with my partner so that we could collect information together. I determine what questions have yet to be answered when I read over the existing information on the note taking document and figured out what parts of the skeletal muscle building process that we were missing. I defined constraints and specifications for a solution as I realized that not all of the information we needed, was going to be provided on one single website. So the solution was for both my partner and I to research on several different websites that may contain more information.

No comments:

Post a Comment